This was a real hit with my little family and is definitely one of my new faves!
Stuffed French Toast
1 loaf French bread
½ c. fresh fruit, I used strawberries
1 8 oz. package plain cream cheese
2 eggs
1 T. cinnamon
½ c. milk
2 T. butter
Heat frying pan to 325 degrees.
Cut French bread into 2-3 inch wide slices. Then, with a paring knife, go back and cut halfway into each slice, in the center, creating a pocket that your fruit mixture can be stuffed into.
In a bowl, place the room temperature cream cheese and fruit in a bowl and combine well.
In a separate bowl, break 2 eggs; add cinnamon and milk and combine well.
Now take fruit mixture and stuff into the pockets of your French bread slices.
When done stuffing each piece of bread, completely coat each piece in egg mixture. Make sure all sides are covered. Do all pieces before frying.
Put 2 T. butter or cooking spray onto frying pan. Add all the bread to the skillet and cook roughly and 3-6 minutes on each side, until it is golden brown. You want to make sure the cream cheese mixture heats through. If it is golden and not quite cooked through, heat in microwave to a 30 seconds or so.
When done frying, serve with or without maple syrup.
4 comments:
Oh, this was so amazing! You could totally use this for a dessert. I added sliced almonds and it was delish! I didn't think it needed any syrup. Loved this!
I'm making it right now! I can't wait! Thanks for posting all your delish recipes.:)
Ok I made it and it was awesome. My husband was impressed with how fancy they were.:) And I have to disagree with Steph...the syrup even makes it better.:)
I realized that the recipe I used on this was a little different. It included 3 T jam in the cream cheese filling which made it much sweeter. I didn't think it needed syrup that way.
I made these again last night following this recipe (without jam) and it definitely needed syrup.
Post a Comment